Saturday, February 02, 2008

My encounter Thursday at Sam's Club.



We were standing in line to pay and without my knowledge, an elderly lady (65-75 yr old) standing behind me started chatting with GBK. GBK understands that she is not to talk to strangers- it is a discussion that *she* started probably last summer sometime and brings it up frequently.

Old woman said "Hello little girl. I would love to take you home with me. You are so pretty. Would you like to go home with me? I have lots of toys. I like to play dolls!"

I clued in to what she was saying by the second sentence. Of course, GBK is staring at her, wide eyes, not making a sound. She knew not to talk to her. The lady was getting upset with her because she was not responding.

I explained to the lady, "She knows not to talk to strangers, she is not being rude, only doing what she has been taught to do."

The old lady was taken aback "Why I am no stranger! I am a little old lady! I have granddaughters! I am certainly not a stranger!"

I smiled and turned around. I knew there was no sense in arguing with the lady. Besides, it was my turn to pay and I was ready to get the heck out of there.

On the way out to the car I praised GBK for a job well done. I said- that lady *was* a stranger. Did you know her? No. You did not. She is a stranger. We do not talk to strangers unless Mom or Dad give you permission. You did the right thing. That lady was wrong, she thinks she is not a stranger to you, but since you do not know her, she is indeed a stranger!


I am sure that the little old lady is harmless... but I started thinking about how scared GBK must have been when the lady was talking about taking her home!

3 comments:

Sid said...

Congratulations on a parenting success. Well done.

If she did not recover her senses, then she is an old woman and not an old lady.

In this day and age, we are aware of far more in our society (both good and evil) than ever before. We owe it to our fellow citizens to act with a bit of restaint and awareness. Did the lady physically threaten you? Hell no. Did the lady mentally threaten GBK? Hell yes. Pass on a compliment to a parent and young child. Fine. Talk to the young child while ignoring the parents. Wrong. This is not hard to understand or accept.

Good job on parenting.

KK said...

That reminds me that I am stranger than most - which I guess makes me a stranger.

But I see that Sid posted before me and he is certainly much stranger than I ever was!!!

Anonymous said...

How confusing the world must be to children. They are told to not talk to strangers. Then they are told to be respectful to adults. Figuring out which one trumps the other - and when - must be SO hard for them. It is chilling, really, to realize how vulnerable this makes little ones and how easily they could fall prey to someone who seems innocent and helpful, warm and welcoming. You just want to keep them so close, but you have to let go, finally. And leave them to God. That is the strongest leap of faith I can imagine. The day is coming, but not today, not for a while.

I love you, and miss you! When are you coming this direction???????