Sunday, October 09, 2005

One Down, Four to Go

My mom's daddy is one of 13 children. In other words, more kids than you can name in under 10 seconds, especially in order. One of his brothers lives on the coast and is married to the coolest woman I have ever known.

When I was young we would go to their house for family gatherings, usually a fish fry on Independence Day. I have great memories of them. One reason that I remember those days so well is because they live 2 blocks from the Gulf of Mexico and we would visit the beach after a fish fry. I hate the beach- the sand, the salt water, scary sea creatures. I was not meant to live at the beach.

In the Spring of 2004 I learned that my aunt was diagnosed with cancer. CANCER- my worst fear for any of my family members- and worst personal fear- since so many family members have died from it (including my mom's daddy back in the early 80s) or at least suffered from it.

But she has survived and is in recovery. Doesn't she look great? Just before I learned of her diagnoses, my husband and I visited her home and planned to stay in her guest house. My husband's brother and daughters accompanied us. We arrived and Aunt Barbara informs me that instead of staying in her guest house, she has made reservations for us at the local *fancy schmancy* hotel. With complete water park for hotel guests only. So we took the kids and had a great time.

While we were there, my aunt asked me how many children I wanted... because I had such a great time with my nieces. I told her nine- but my husband wouldn't go for it... and we compromised at five. She laughed and said she would ask me again after I had one or two.

Up until this time, I was unable to get pregnant, even on fertility pills. While we were on this mini-vacation, I forgot 3 of my pills. But decided not to stress over it... we would just try again the next month. But after this very enjoyable, relaxing weekend, we got pregnant within weeks. And nine months later, Madison Leigh was born.

My parents took Madison and me to visit my aunt and uncle this week. Little did I know that on August 29 Hurricane Katrina would come and go, taking their house with her.

But that last time that I saw her, she asked me again- "so how many more?"- And I said "Well, one down, four to go!"

4 comments:

Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

I get to be first!

Welcome to blogging and I look forward to reading you often.

Hannah

Rebekah said...

Tried to welcome you IMMEDIATELY after I read that you had succumbed to pressure at the shower yesterday and had started your own blog, but found I was blocked. I WANTED to be on your team, so I let Marilyn know subtly, without saying, Please fix it, Marilyn, so we can all play!

So, here I am a day later, but still full of good wishes and a big, happy welcome to blogging!

Rookie Mama said...

I am so sorry y'all- I swear I had comments turned on- I must have reset the default settings or something and had them turned off.

I also tried to post a photo and it is not there... so I will definitely have to get that figured out.

Thank you for reading me!
RM

Anonymous said...

HOORAY!

You're really and truly blogging!

And I am ready and waiting for all these children - Lord we shall raise a circus, between the two of us.