Wednesday, December 12, 2007

one down, one on the way, three to go

My great-aunt still asks me if I want a big family. Remember her? She is my great-aunt by marriage.

Well, now I need to give her a call and tell her-
one down, one on the way, and three to go.

We had a very difficult time getting pregnant with GBK. I went through blood tests, fertility meds, and monthly visits to the doctor.

So RD and I really thought that if we wanted more, we would have to do that all over again. And the dollar signs flashed before our eyes- it would cost more to conceive the child than to put him through college!! So we had the attitude of- "whatever happens, happens". So no prevention, no ovulation charts, no fertility meds, no nothin'.

Last week I was feeling so puny- tired, hungry, getting up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, waking at odd times (once at 2am and another at 4:30 without being able to go back to sleep!)... just weird stuff.

After getting heartburn Sunday afternoon, I told Keith and Tina, wow, I have heartburn! The only other time I have gotten that was when I was pregnant!

Finally Sun afternoon Miracle Mama convinced me to go to the store and get a test. Ease my mind.

We had plans to go to the downtown Christmas light night and ride the horse-drawn buggy to view the lights with our kids.

I knew I had time to stop at the store before that. Since we had just been given a Wal-Mart gift card for Christmas (thanks Bat Man), I decided to try it. GBK was fast asleep, so I put her in the stroller. We went in Wal-Mart, got a few things- TUMS, toilet paper, a new game for GBK and a PREGNANCY TEST. I had to pee so bad- but knew that I need that pee for my pregnancy stick! I hurried through the store, passing a friend that is pregnant with her 4th child, oh how hard it was to just say hi and keep on walking!

I checked out at the self-checker station, no problem, other than I paid and walked right out! About 5 people yelled at me "Don't forget what you just bought!" UGH. I grabbed my bags and headed to the bathroom.

I decided to pee on the stick and just take it with me to where I was meeting my friends for the Christmas light show. I could check it when I got there.

Oh but no. The positive sign showed up while I was still zipping my pants!! That is not where I wanted to find out that I was pregnant! Not in a nasty Wal-Mart stall, with GBK asleep in the stroller, RD at home, no friends, no one. Just me in there all by myself. I let out a tiny little hoarse scream and ran out of there as fast as I could, straight to the van. The security folks at the door looked at me funny, but I kept going.

I called Miracle Mama and told her to hurry up and meet me at the church- to hurry! I needed her to double check my stick and make sure that I was reading it correctly!

Another friend, CAL CHIC, met me there first, confirmed and we had a little celebration of hugging and laughing and giggling in the parking lot while the big kids stayed buckled in the cars wondering what the heck was going on!

After our carriage ride and lights adventure, I told GBK that I was going to have a baby and she was going to be a big sister. Her face lit up, her mouth wide open as if I had just given her the world's largest bucket of fruit snacks. She grabbed my hair, pulled me close, hugged me and said thank you, thank you, thank you over and over again.

RD called and said he was at Keith and Tina's house and needed a ride home. I agreed to stop by. GBK ran in their house, climbed on his lap and told him- Mama has a baby and I am gonna be a big sister!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the sweetest story. I am soooooo very happy for ya'll. Can't wait till all these babies get here. Love Ya! AJ

Sid said...

Wow.

I saw a documentary on how women get pregnant it was just the most gross thing I have ever seen. I am ashamed to say that most likely Julie and I have done that at least twice. Since I quit drinking, of course we have stopped having children because we would never do that sober.

Important notes for those who do not get my humor:

#1 The documentary title was "Debbie Does Dallas"

#2 I have not quit drinking

#3 Julie and I have doen it more than twice

#4 I am really happy for you and your family. Great news.

Unknown said...

Yeah! congrats, I'm so happy for you.

Sam said...

I am so very excited and thrilled for your sweet family! God is so good! Reading how the GBK reacted made me cry. It will be great for Thomas to have another baby friend, not to mention that I can't wait for the opportunity to spoil you like you spoiled me.

Anonymous said...

methinks you're gonna have to change your name one of these days, you're no rookie, mama

and OH what fabulous, joyous news!! just forget the part about the WalMart stall-- hee

Congratulations!!

~bluepoppy

Stephanie said...

Here via Sam to say: Congratulations! That is a great story!

Marilyn said...

Oh, I'm so excited for you! Great news! You're going to blog regularly and keep us all posted throughout this...right?! ;) Much love, Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Oh, how absolutely wonderful!!!! I'm so happy for you, even though Santa did put heartburn and morning sickness in your stocking :~)